While I love winter, I am completely over cold rainy weather. If this is going to be another winter without snow, then so be it. Bring on Spring and fill my kitchen with Summer!
After a long week (and it was only Wednesday), I decided I’d had enough of local winter veggies and needed the taste of warm summer sun. I came home with pink grapefruit, avocado, limes, and tangerines, and my daughter got to work.
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 pink grapefruit
1 head of romaine lettuce or mixed greens
Marinade: juice of 1 tangerine, juice of 1 lime, honey, white wine vinegar, water, salt, pepper
1. Begin by slicing avocado in bite size pieces and put in a bowl.
2. Peel grapefruit then take each slice and gently peel off the pith until you get down to the pulp. Remove the pulp in bite size pieces and place in bowl too.
3. Make marinade:
- 1 part tangerine juice
- 1 part lime juice
- 1 part white wine vinegar
- 1 part water
- 1 part honey
- 2-3 parts olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
4. Pour marinade over avocado and grapefruit.
5. Chop lettuce/greens and place in bowls. Scoop a large spoonful of grapefruit and avocado and nest inside the lettuce.
6. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
7. Use extra marinade as dressing if needed.