Removing all grains from my diet for my health’s sake was a challenge but easily accepted once my body started feeling
better. There are a few foods, however, I mourn the loss of–an aromatic thin crust pizza loaded with veggies, a warm glazed donut on a winter morning, and sweet breads toasted with a bit of butter or cream cheese (not to be confused with sweetbreads–and no, there will not be a blog post on that one).
I do still make the breads as gifts for friends and breakfast for my daughter. Without fail, the zucchini bread keeps ’em coming back for more. It is a moist recipe with a great texture. I prefer to bake it in small loaf pans, wrap it up and pair it with a jar of jam for a quick “I’m thinking about you” or “Happy Holidays” gift.
Just One More Slice Zucchini Bread
2 tbsp salted butter softened
3/4 cup oil (I use veggie or canola)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated unpeeled raw zucchini
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup nuts, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour one 9×5 or 2 small loaf pans.
2. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, honey, and vanilla until light and thick (I use a medium speed on my mixer for at least 2 minutes). On low, beat in zucchini until just blended.
3. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. You can sift or just whisk around with a fork. On low, beat dry mixture into wet mixture. Add nuts if using.
4. Pour batter into pan(s). Bake on middle rack in the oven for at least 1 hour 15 min if large pan. Check at 45 minutes if small pans.
5. Cool slightly, remove from pans, and cool completely. I then put them wrapped into my fridge to be used within a week or tightly sealed into the freezer for later.